Today is Intentional

This all started from signing up for and completing the 2011 Death Race in Pittsfield, Vermont. During the 48 hour race I encountered 3 mountains, 1 river 120 some odd logs to split, 5 gallon pales of water, 100lb back packs and way more mud and freezing water than any human should ever be exposed to.

Today I am preparing for the next big adventure. Come join me on this incredible journey!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Countdown Begins!

At long last the Death Race is here!  Its Wednesday today - I just got back from a run around my old neighborhood in Burlington, Vermont, cranked the music and am ready to take this race on!  

I made the commitment a little over 6 months ago to my friend, David Harwood, suggested I do this crazy race with him.  I said, yes, paid my entry fee and started training.  Today I'm packing up my gear and sharpening my maul... hoping that I am able to sleep through the night without the nightmares I've been having all week.

Last night we all received an email stating there will be a noon parachute folding seminar on friday followed by a closed door meeting with the Freemasons at 2pm.  Sign in starts at 3 and the race begins at 6pm.  

Our list of mandatory items includes:
Goggles
#2 Dixon-Ticonderoga Pencil
Hand Drill with 1/2 in drill bit
Hand Saw
Tape Measure
Axe or Maul
10' Section of Climbing Rope
Carabiner
One twenty dollar bill
Two one dollar bills

Over the past few weeks I have not blogged but I have been working my butt off!  Well actually it seems to get bigger - I'm feeling rather bootylicious at the moment.  I've been hiking with 50+lb packs through Vancouver's North Shore mountains, running Kits beach with the largest logs I could muster, running to work and doing my very best to eat well.  It has all paid off - I'm in the best shape of my life and have no doubt that I'm going kick this race's ass!

UBC Alumni Affairs was kind enough to help me with my first Death Race task: "Get an article written about you completing the race."  Read it here: Alumnus to Compete in Extreme Endurance Race. They will be doing a follow up interview in August.

If there is cell service in Pittsfield, my parents will be updating via my twitter account @andrewjhaas on race day(s) so you can follow my progress via twitter or facebook.  

Thank you all for your support, following my blog and pushing me to run faster, lift more and most importantly get my head on straight!  

See you on the other side!

-Andrew 

1 comment:

  1. You're going to rock this weekend. Sending you good vibes my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete